18 January 2011

Ginger's take on anime

Studio Ghibli films. Bet you can't watch just one!
I've always been a little apprehensive towards animes because my brother loved them growing up and the very first one I was exposed to was Akira. Let me tell you, that movie is 2 hours of crazy-train time that stops only in explosion city and WTF plaza. After seeing that homeless schizophrenic of a movie I'd never wanted to step near an anime again.

However, because I have such awesome friends they decided to help me though my phobia with little baby steps. First, it was Hayao Miyazaki and his work with Studio Ghibli. Really, when we’re talking about Studio Ghibli we’re talking about the two co-heads of the company Hayao Miyazaki (a prominent Japanese manga artist and director/animator - basically the name in amine as far as this American is concerned. His success in the animation world would actually be every comparable to our Walt Disney.) and Isao Takahata (currently regarded as one of the greatest anime directors of all time.)

Having a career spanning 5 decades, Miyazaki started at Toei Animation (where he first met Takahata) in April 1963 as a in-between artist but didn't really gain recognition for his animation until 1965 when he rewrote of the ending to Gullivar's Travels Beyond the Moon. In 1968 he really placed himself on the map by becoming the chief animator, concept artist and scene designer for Hols: Prince of the Sun, a landmark film directed by Isao Takahata. Despite the film’s artistic success, Hols was a major financial flop, and because Takahata was on the production team deemed responsible he was demoted and ostracized within Toei Animation. Though Miyazaki would continue providing key animation, designs, storyboards, story ideas, structure development and characters for many animated feature films for Toei Animation, such as Phantom Flying Ship, Animal Treasure Island, and Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, in 1971 he and Takahata would leave to work together at “A Production” (currently Shin-Ei Animation Company) for a short time. While at A Pro the pair co-directed six episodes for the first Lumpin III TV series. Later in 1971 the pair switched employers again, moving to Zuiyo Enterprise (Presently Nippon Animation) to work on Heidi: Girl of the Alps. After collaborating on 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, Miyazaki felt that they wanted to head in different directions and left Zuiyo Enterprise in 1979 to direct his first feature anime The Castle of Casliostro, a Lumpin III adventure.

Big O' Totoro. What a great guy.
Flash forward to 1985 where Miyazaki and Tahakata are working together again and decide to found Studio Ghibli after the success of Miyazaki's Second film Nauiscaa of the Valley of the Wind in 1984. While Studio Ghibli films didn't become popular in the United States until 1997 with the release of Princess Mononoka (which isn't one of my personal favorites but won no fewer than 30 awards in japan and internationally), they have produced 20 animated feature films to date. Some of the more well known titles include:
  • Castle in the Sky
  • Grave of the Fireflies (named by Roger Ebert as one of the best war films ever made)
  • My Neighbor Totoro (Totoro is actually used in Studio Ghibli's logo, shown above)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Spirited Away
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (released in the US under Ponyo)
I think the reason I like Miyazaki's films so much is because of their recurring themes, such as humanity's relationship to nature and technology and the difficulty of maintaining a pacifist ethic. He also seems to have strong feelings about feminism since a majority of his protagonists are strong, independent girls or young women - which is good in my book. We need more strong female characters in American cartoons if you ask me. There's also lots of environmentalism heavy plots, which should make my mother happy. My favorite theme though is how he handles villainy - while Castle of Cagilostro and Castle int he Sky involve traditional villians, most of his other films present morally ambiguous antagonists with redeming qualities. And to me at least, the best villains come from creating something evil or wrong from a part of yourself. It makes the villain much more realistic and thus more terrifying - kinda of a Valley of the Dolls effect I guess.

But, getting back to anime in general - I now have a new found respect of Japanese Animation (thanks mostly to Studio Ghibli), which I used acidly to refer to as 'cartoons for adults'. I guess they still are cartoons for adults, but now I would said that phrase with warmth and affection. So, if you're already into anime or on the fence about it or can't stand it - I understand. I've been though each of those and I can recommend these with a certainty that you'll like them as much as I do:
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender (I know, I'm a little late to the party, but I'm in love with this show after only 12 episodes)
  • Samari X (Very, very sad - but one of the best love stories ever told)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service (Fun. Just super fun)
  • Castle in the Sky
  • Spirited Away
  • My Neighbor Totoro (Soooooo cuuuuute)
  • Gurren Lagann (Epic adventure. Enough said)
  • The Lodoss War
  • K-On (A series about a girl band - what fun!)









So, check these out and tell your friends!
素晴らしいを!

No comments:

Post a Comment