11 January 2011

Game Review: Dixit

Game: Dixit
Designer: Jean-Louis Roubira
Illustrator: Marie Cardouat
Publisher: Regis Bonnessee of Libellud
Released: 2009
Awards: too many to include, see list here.
Cost: about $30

Players: 3-6
Age Range: 8 and up
Run Time: about 30 minutes

Grade: A+


This is simply a great game - I don't know how else to put it. I played this game last week with two friends and we had a blast. Dixit is soooo easy to learn, I think it took us all of three minutes to read and understand the rules. There is virtually no set up and everything but the cards is contained in the box during game play, so you need very little room to play the game and you can set it up or take it down within two minutes. The game pieces are these really adorable little colored bunnies (my one friend and I got a real kick out of them!) and the game board is a little meadow with numbered rocks for space counters. The artwork on the cards is very well done - the style lends itself well to the more funny/cute scenes but also holds its own for the more dark/creepy scenes. (They're actually so pretty that several of the cards are pictures I would hang in my own house if they were full sized works.) I also see a large replay value in this game - the scenes on the cards have enough going on they could fit several interpretations that would vary based on the specific player. It is also very easy to see where expansions could be put in with out changing the game at all, kind of like Apples to Apples. That is actually the best comparison I can come up with - Dixit is like a more creative Apples to Apples. It's very fast too - one game averages about 30 minutes, so you could play this and still be able to put your kids to bed on time or drive home from a friends house and get yourself in bed at a reasonable hour. That said, I could see this being a very good family game for people with children since it could be used as a tool to help them develop their own sense of humor or their creativity while they're blissfully unaware. Dixit is also a good party game because winning or losing feels almost irrelevant since you're having so much fun - and that's saying a lot from me because I'm super competitive (Just ask my husband or any of my friends).

All in all, with the cost, replay value, ease of play/set up/take down as well as the sheer amount of fun I had with Dixit, this game ends up with an A+ rating. It deserves every one of the awards it got.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are all in agreement that Alchemilla made a good call when she bought this.

    ReplyDelete