06 March 2011

The world as shaped by a 4 fingered yellow hand

So after finding a few articles on the subject, I realized how much of our popular culture has been effected by The Simpsons.
This will be the blog's name
when I get older. Say like 50 or 60.

The 10 Simpsons Phrases that should be in the Dictionary

Subtly Simpsons Quotes

Only recently had this dawned on me, as I make Simpsons' quotes to my wife. And most of the time I end up having to explain the set up and premise of the joke because she didn't watch the Simpsons growing up. Because of this I realized how much of the humor of the earlier season has stayed with us and become quite a force in our current culture.

Out of the top ten I can recall in the last year yoink, meh, kwyjibo, car hole, frogurt, craptacular, and unpossible being used in a sentence that was not reciting the original gag. My vote to add to the top ten Simpson phrases: Cromulent.

Not quite the drink of Champions.
The Drink of those who win by Default.
Yeah, I know the show's been on for 22 season. But what really gets me is how many of my fond memories of this show were from the reruns that used to show on weekday evenings, it wasn't the new episodes it was the reruns my siblings and I really appreciated, and grew up on. Granted I was old enough to see the 3rd Season on TV originally and started watching because I wanted to see Ozzie Smith in Homer at the Bat. So I've been a fan for a while.

So here's to you early years of the Simpsons, I raise a Duff in your honor. And hope that your humor never goes out of style.

1 comment: