08 March 2011

Ginger, on Flygirl By Sherri Smith

Title: Flygirl
Author: Sherri Smith

Publisher: Speak
Published: September 16, 2010
Format: Paperback
                              Grade: A

Amazon Description:
All Ida Mae Jones wants to do is fly. Her daddy was a pilot, and years after his death she feels closest to him when she's in the air. But as a young black woman in 1940s Louisiana, she knows the sky is off limits to her, until America enters World War II, and the Army forms the WASP: Women Airforce Service Pilots. Ida has a chance to fulfill her dream if she's willing to use her light skin to pass as a white girl. She wants to fly more than anything, but Ida soon learns that denying oneself and family is a heavy burden, and ultimately it's not what you do but who you are that's most important.

Review:
I was originally draw to this book because of the cover. Shallow, I know, but I love the airplane silhouettes and the WWII flight get up. Plus the girl on the front looks determined, and that usually equals entertaining at the very least. After I read the description, I decided this would be good for me since it was outside my reading comfort zone. (I'm trying to challenge myself this year, step outside my box and all that.) Normally I would never read a war novel, but I'd never heard about the WASP program so I was intrigued - and I do on occasion like a historical fiction. So, I looked them up just to check, and they did indeed exist. (Check us nest week for some WASP history!)

Sliver WASP Wings: Worn by 1,074 women during WWII
Right away I liked Ida Mae's character. She's independent, smart, funny and comes off as truly sincere. There's something really refreshing about her character in terms of young adult fiction where a lot (if not most) female characters are closer related to do-nothing, helpless damsels in distress. It's interesting to watch her character evolve as well; her decisions shape her idea of who she's going to be as an adult, some of things she experiences outside her 'normal' life change her outlook on what's really important. Her two friends from training are quite remarkable too - they each had their own unique story and brought their own special somethin' to the mix - and I have to admit, I see a little of Patsy and Lily in my own friends now, and that makes me love this book even more. Ida's family is very realistic too: you can tell the love each other very much but there's still certain expectations everyone has about each other, however fair or not fair that may be. All in all, I haven't read a story in a long time where I cared about the main characters as much as I cared about the young women in Flygirl.

Fifinella Patch - Fifi is the WASP gremlin mascot
After doing a bit of research, I found that the historical backdrop for the story was actually very accurate - which I think is great for young adult fiction. It defiantly gives some insight into the lives of families and young women left behind during WWII. There is obviously the strong racial aspect to the story as well, but I think that adds to the 'realness' of Ida Mae and her personal struggles and it gives a more detailed everyday life description the reader might have otherwise missed. That said though, even though Lily's family was well-off, I don't necessarily agree that family money would protect Lily from the racial prejudices Jews faced in the 1940s as much as it seemed too, so that was a little unrealistic in my eyes. But, I'm willing to over look that aspect since Lily's life isn't the focal point of the story and everything else was pretty spot on.

In short, the characters are amazing - the author makes the real, like your own friends. The story is strong - the 1940s come alive: the good, the bad, everything jumps out and runs around your brain they've been invited to a party. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in American history, anyone looking for a book with a strong girl lead...Actually, I take that back: would would recommend this book to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment