01 March 2011

Ginger, on music and socity

I have a confession: I love music. I like to look up music videos on youtube when I'm home by myself - I think subconsciously I might be a little embarrassed about it. Pop and rock (old and new - though I prefer the old stuff) are what I listen too the most though I wouldn't turn of the radio on some (clean) rap, new country, or classical tunes. (I mean these labels in the broadest sense, I don't want to get nit picky about electronic vs. punk vs. metal vs. alternative.) What I noticed the other day is that some of the songs I was listening to were actually quite awful, as far as lyrics were concerned. Most of them fall into that pop category, and I know pop singers aren't the most selfless people on the planet, but shouldn't they be just a little more concerned about the messages their music is handing out?

Take this song by Rihanna for instance. It's titled Unfaithful, so you know going in that this isn't gonna be a mushy love song. It sounds good though, strong beat, nice instrumental parts, clear vocals. I could catch myself singing along to this in the car without to much thought if it came on. But, what you don't realize until you actually hear the lyrics is that she's not really taking fault with her actions - she just can't help the way she is. Excuse me, What? You can't help but cheat? What does that say to young women all over the country? It's ok to lie and cheat honey, you can't help it you know. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Way to throw decency out the window girlfriend.


Here's another one by Eve 6 called Think Twice. When you first listen to it, it sounds like he might be defending his girlfriend, which could be good right? We like for our guys to stand up for us - he even looks a little like a geeky guy next door type (aside from the scary full arm/shoulder tattoos). But there's one line in the secondary chorus that stands out for me: She spreads her love. She's doing the wrong in this situation, and he keeps taking her back. So, if you love someone, it's okay for them to treat you like crap because you can't bear to walk away? Who needs that pack of lies to move in to their head? I guess you can put it up next to the box of "I can't help the way I am" that Rihanna gave you. (There is also that weird possessive overtone - it's HIS girl - but then again, don't we all feel like that in a relationship?)


How about this one by Katy Perry: Teenage Dream. Is she singing about feeling like a giddy teenager or actual teenagers? Here's a better question: What do today's teenagers think she's singing about? Every teenager feels like they're in love or they've found the one at one point or another, but no matter how true (or not true) that statement may be, kids don't need to be falling in bed with each other right and left while they're still in high school. And they certainly don't need an excuse to do so. What were you thinking Miss Perry? You're a very popular musician and that popularity comes with a certain amount of responsibility to your young demographic. Get your shit together girl.


And last - but certainly not least - we have Kesha with her song Your Love Is My Drug. (Oh wait, I'm sorry, Ke$ha -I don't know how you can spell your name with a symbol, but whatever.) Everything about this song should make a sane person run away screaming. I mean really, if the best analogy you can come up with for how you feel is drug use, maybe you need to reevaluate that situation. And she's singing this like it's the best thing that's ever happened to her - no wonder girls today think assholes and jerks are real "keeper" material. Yay for role models. *sigh*


So, what is the message main stream music is sending? Is it telling us it's ok to be a horrible person - or maybe that we should love people for being horrible? Is it saying that we should do what we want to do, when we want to do it, without regard to others it might affect? Is it pushing selfishness as the way of the future?

I'm not sure how other people feel about it, but even though I like a lot of main stream artists, most of them aren't people I would invite on a picnic. Don't get me wrong, it's cool for music to be fun and rock-out-able - I have some go-to bands to listen to when I need cheering up, or I need company when I'm depressed, or I'm feelin' fantastic and I need some theme music to match my mood. But there should be a certain amount of respect in music too (especially if you know a majority of your audience belongs to an impressionable age range). Whatever happened to common decency people?

3 comments:

  1. Ginger, when it comes to popular music, there has never been such a thing as decency. For many decades, mainstream music has always been "sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll." People don't want their music to preach to them. They want to be indulged by it. It's been a longstanding belief of mine that the ignorant masses only understand two things: pleasure and pain. Anything else just flies over their heads. If you want to sell records, appeal to the lowest common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here's the part where you get angry with me, Ginger. I agree with your sentiment for the Katy Perry and Ke$ha tunes. They are irresponsible to a degree. However, on my listening of the Rihanna and Eve 6 numbers, I got a totally different vibe. First, in the chorus of Unfaithful, she very clearly establishes that while her affair has been an ongoing thing, she does feel remorse, even equating cheating with murder, and calling herself a murderer in the bargain. She knows it's wrong, and it's killing her inside, and it comes off as a heartfelt plea for understanding, as she knows the continued action can only bring more pain.

    The Eve 6 tune, I can relate to. Sometimes love sucks ass, and you find yourself falling for someone you otherwise wouldn't even talk to. And no matter what they do, you take them back, because dammit, you love them. Is it healthy? No, not in the slightest. But I can understand where it's coming from, and I see it more as a cautionary tale, a kind of, 'look out, dudes and dudettes, there's shit like this out there, and by god don't make the same mistakes, look how miserable this is making me.' I would rather music as a medium take a realistic look at the possibilities of a bad relationship than sugar coat, or worse, avoid it entirely. It's a double edged sword kinda thing. Sure, this song is rather depressing, but if the whole of pop music was entirely Taylor Swift(who I enjoy, btw), pop music would be far too boring, and just as damaging to the teenage demographic, as I haven't really heard a song of hers that doesn't involve a fairy tale ending to a predestined romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Boog: With Rihanna's song though (and don't get me wrong, I do actually like her music) she goes on and on about how awful her actions are but doesn't stop what she's doing. I get that she wants some understanding from the listener, but I personally don't think she deserves it. Redemption isn't something you get handed to you on a silver platter after you say "i'm sorry" - you have to earn it.

    I do see your point with the Eve 6 song - that does happen so there is a certain amount of reality there. And it could be seen as cautionary.

    Now, miss Taylor Swift: while most of her songs are either about how you're never good enough (Teardrops On My Guitar & You Belong With Me), or sickly sweet puppy love (Our Song & Love Story), I can respect her songs Fifteen and Mine. Those have a cretin emotional depth and realness that some of her other work lacks.

    ReplyDelete