15 March 2011

One Game Can Change Everything

Let me set the stage. It was the summer of 2002, there was a World Cup going on in South Korea and Japan. I was stationed in Wurzburg, Germany (with the U.S. Army), and I was apathetic to the tournament.

In fact I remember hearing that America would play South Korea, and if America won all the posts in Korea would be "locked down" to avoid incident. (Basically all the Americans would have to stay on base so we wouldn't get drunk and say something stupid.) We were coming back from a range day where we had been qualifying with our rifles. We were riding in the back of a 5-ton (one of our large vehicles) when a German pulled up behind us at a stop light and held up a piece of paper saying Korea 1-USA 1.

I can remember remarking "Thanks, but we don't really care." Some of the people around me laughed. Later one of my Sergeants asked me if I was going to watch the USA vs Mexico match. (We had made it out of the group stage and were going to take on our biggest divisional rival.) I asked him if we even had a shot. And he told me we had beaten Mexico for the 1st time in a long while earlier that year. I didn't watch that game, but America did win, and our team was rewarded by facing Germany in the Quarterfinals.

There are a surprising amount of soccer fans in the Army, this game was shown in our office on the day of the game. I sat and watched my first soccer game from start to finish. (I wish I could find a full video of this game.) The one I have up there is just the highlights, and it's a little biased. But it's good for today's example.

Before this game played we were told that if America won, the base would be locked down. So I went into the game almost cheering for Germany, (I didn't want anything to cut into my weekend freedom/drinking time.) In this game I saw the U.S. National Team scare the Germans and the Teutonic Titans were glad to get a win, in a game that some had predicted would end 3-0 or 4-0.

It ended 1-0, but it was evident at the end that Germany had got lucky. If America would have won they would have gone on to play South Korea in the semi-finals of the World Cup. Korea eventually got 4th place overall. So it's not impossible that America could have played Brazil in the final.

During the game (at about the 89th minute of the game or the 5:20 mark on the video). The phone in our office rang. Because of the angle on the shot we all thought America had scored and we cheered loudly, right as someone answered the phone. The General on the other end was not pleased I was told later.

Germany went on to beat South Korea, and faced Brazil in the finals. Germany lost but I saw Germans celebrating in the streets when their team lost, German fans had not expected a 2nd place finish and were happy with it, even if winning their 4th title would have been better.

These events made me a fan of soccer. Seeing an underdog play on equal terms with one of the game's greats. And seeing a loosing team's fans still celebrate. These are the reason I cheer for soccer to keep gaining popularity in America. That...and the fact that I'd like to see America win the World Cup in my lifetime.

It's a hell of a game, and I swear to you if you give it a fair shot you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment