02 March 2011

Games You Should Know About... Beyond Good & Evil HD

I was, originally, going to make this a surprise post after I put up my video review for the Retron 3, but that video is taking longer than anticipated to upload, so... surprise!

Anyway, I consider this to be one of the most important GYSKA I will ever write, for it's about one of my favorite games of all time.  I knew that, one day, I would do a post about Beyond Good & Evil.  I just didn't know when.  Fortunately, Ubisoft made a smart move that would do more than just give me a chance to talk about this game.  It would also give many of you a real opportunity to play this game and show support for a sequel.


Beyond Good & Evil, or BG&E, as I will refer to it from here on, came out in 2003.  It was the brainchild of Michel Ancel, creator of the Rayman series.  Gameplay is very similar to the 3D Legend of Zelda games, but it's fleshed out by extra features, like hovercraft races, stealth missions, and liberal use of Jade's camera, whether it's for taking pictures of wildlife for a scientist or gathering evidence of a government conspiracy to invade your homeworld.

Like Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the game garnered high acclaim by the press, but was ignored by the mainstream gaming populace and it was a commercial failure.  Word of mouth and great reviews were the only advertising the game got.  Nonetheless, BG&E became a cult hit with fans through the virtue of its story, gameplay, and lovable characters.

Due to the cliffhanger ending, fans wondered if a sequel would ever see the light of day.  In 2008, footage was revealed that teased that the second chapter of the saga would be coming to the current-gen systems.  Since then, there has been very little mention of it and some have been talking about the project being scrapped.  According to Ubisoft, the sequel has been in production for years, but is being done by a small team led by Ancel, to ensure that it retains the integrity of the original.


While we wait an undisclosed amount of time for the next chapter, Ubisoft re-released the original game in HD.  It's available now for the XBOX 360 with a future release for the Playstaion 3. If there is one game from GYSKA that you really need to play, it's BG&E.  Ubisoft needs to know that this franchise is still highly anticipated by us gamers.  Download this game for $10 and find out what the big deal is about - you'll thank me later.



Well, it seems I can't upload my Retron 3 video, for some stupid-ass reason. I guess it'll have to wait for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment