08 March 2011

End of an era

The First
Last night I was reminded that one of the last three Space Shuttle missions had just taken place. I was born on the day the first Space Shuttle was launched. On April 12, 1981, Columbia launched from Cape Canaveral. And I was born in a small town in Texas. Which means in a little less then a month the Space Shuttle Program will be 30 years old. There are two remaining missions, you can find out about them here.

The Last
The Space Shuttle was a symbol of the entire space program for most of my life, and for good reason. This was the first space going vessel that was sleek. Apollo may have been the famous one, but NASA's vehicles in the 60s' and 70's always looked to me like someone had made them in their basement. The other symbols of our space program in my life, the Hubble and the International Space Station. Maybe the Voyager probes. I don't think there's really been any others. 

Columbia was the shuttle I considered to be mine growing up. I was stationed in Kosovo with the U.S. Army when Columbia exploded on re-entry on February 1st, 2003. I was very paranoid that day about everything. You may call it superstitious, but I figured there was no sense taking chances that day. 

So we're rapidly approaching the end of an era. In July we will say good-bye to the Space Shuttle, the remaining shuttles will be taken to museums and become as much a thing of the past as the Saturn Rockets, and Sputnik. 

I wonder if NASA would let me ride on the last one, surely it'd make for good PR, if nothing else...

I got to go find a number I'll talk to you later.

3 comments:

  1. I remember loving space shuttles when I was a little titan. Space exploration won't feel the same without them. My question is what's going to be replacing the space shuttle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a subject that has been pissing me off to massive degrees for the last year or so. We've failed for years to come up with a working replacement for the Shuttles and now they're gone. Oh, and to add insult to injury, we may very well miss the window for the development of space travel because there are more important things to do for the species like fight stupid wars. You know, we just hit 7 billion in population, and the growth is increasing exponentially. We're going to need more space sooner than later, assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad got me interested in NASA when I was just a little girl. I will miss it all. I have collected some space memorabilia and have it on my walls in my computer room. God bless those astronauts and thanks dad for the memories.

    ReplyDelete