09 April 2011

Tartan Days

Happy Tartan Days everyone.

In St. Charles, Missouri (which is nearby me) this weekend is Tartan Days, a celebration of everything Scottish, Irish, and to a lesser extend Welsh. You can read about it here.

I bring this up for two reasons. One I got to see Caber Tossing today.
You can see a perfect toss in the video. Keep in mind you're not going for distance in this sport. You're going for how the pole lands in relation to the way your facing when you throw it. Maximum points if it's points straight along the way you were facing when you threw it.

I think this should be an Olympic sport. But I think all strange and awesome ethnic games should be Olympic events.

The other point I found out today, is which clan my mom's side belongs to my maternal grandmother's Celtic side comes from the McWilliams, and my maternal grandfather's Celtic side comes from the McCabe family. Both of these families where part of the Clan MacLeod. My father's side is Duncan. So yet another tie to the Highlander franchise. So if you'll excuse me I need to go learn how to wield a Claymore, or a Katana. And maybe win the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment