10 April 2011

Alchememe : Who needs sleep? Pt. 2

Hey, guys. Alchemilla here. Today, we're moving on to bigger (well, taller) things!

Splendorman!
Slender Man by Pirate-Cashoo on DA

Okay, no. Today we're going to talk about his big brother, Slenderman, and the best places to find him.

Who is the Slenderman?

Welp, the story goes that some dude made him up on the Something Awful forums for one of their creepy threads. He captured the imagination of the group, and it spiraled from there.

Interestingly, his creation ties into part of his mythos (if that makes any sense). He's made more powerful by people believing in him, and his powers are mutable depending on the general hive mind of those who know about him.

Slendy is reputed to be a humanoid figure in what appears to be a suit (black or red tie, your choice!). He is unusually or impossibly tall and thin, and his arms often reach down below his knees, lending to his unsettling appearance. Sometimes he is depicted as having elegantly curling tentacles, or, my favorite, appendages that appear as tree branches at first glance. He's got no face, or, in my pet explanation, his face is so horrible that our brains can't process it, and we only see a blank pale shape of a face instead.

He hangs out in wooded areas, blending in with the trees, or on children's playgrounds, watching the kiddies. The legend started that he was mostly interested in children, wanting to scare and torment them before he killed and maybe ate them. Now his victims tend to be the kind of people who go in for this kind of stuff, but sometimes the idea that Slendy stalks them as kids and then lets them ripen still crops up from time to time.

I mentioned in my last article that creatures that stalk and watch and wait were the most scary to me, and Slendy is the very definition of this kind of creature. He likes to play with his food.

Anyway, now comes the time where I tell you where you can find him for yourself.

First, the blogs. This isn't a complete list, just some that I've read and found enjoyable.

1. Just Another Fool (http://jafool.wordpress.com/)
       This is one of the first, to my knowledge, of the interactive Slendy vlogs. It's complete at this time, so keep that in mind. It's well written and the images contained within are sometimes startlingly creepy.

2. Brighter Than a Spoon (http://nihilartikelling.blogspot.com/)
       I don't think this a very well known blog, but I stumbled on it on the Unfiction forums, and I really enjoy the writing. He expands on the myth in a way I find awesome, and it's still being written. Highly recommended!

3. The Tutorial (http://getuphigh.blogspot.com/)
       A snarky blog about the reality of being chased by a Slenderman. I like the way this kid writes. The only issue is that he often talks about other blogs and vlogs as if they all are happening in the same 'verse, which can be a smidge confusing if you haven't read them, which can be confusing, but is also pretty cool. This blog is still going as far as I know, although there hasn't been an update in a while. Still worth a read.

Next, the vlogs.

1. Marble Hornets (http://www.youtube.com/user/MarbleHornets) (http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/)
       Okay, full disclosure: I'm too much of a pansy to watch much of this one. I've seen the first couple of videos, and they're scary stuff. Remember how I mentioned the whole windows at night issue I have? Yeah, they go ahead and play on that in the first episode. Aaaaahhh! Yeah. So. It's scary. But, I would be remiss to exclude it- it was the first and many consider it to be the best. I'll let you know if I can bring myself to watch it someday. It's still going, now in season 2. I linked the wiki, too, so you can take a look at the timeline, which may help you to enjoy season 1 and get caught up.

2. EverymanHYBRID (http://www.youtube.com/everymanHYBRID) (http://everymanhybrid.wikia.com)
       It is absolutely imperative that you go to the wiki on this one. This is a great series with decent acting and really likable characters, but it will be confusing and make no sense unless you hit up the wiki. There are twitter feeds, blogs, another YouTube account, and lots and lots of side stuff that are all important to the story. It may seem like a rabbit warren, but it's totally worth getting into. Again, the timeline is an important tool. It's still going on, and the impression of the community is that there is going to be something big happening in April, so catch up now so you can get in on the action as it happens!

3. TribeTwelve (http://www.youtube.com/tribetwelve)
       No need for a wiki on this one. Don't let the first couple of videos put you off. There is a bit of a meh factor to them, but if you can get past them and onto what he's doing recently, it's totally worth it. Noah (rather, the actor that plays him) is a master at special effects, and his creepy videos from the Observer are total paranoia fuel. Don't get into this one expecting a HYBRIDs like experience- it's self contained on the one YouTube account. This one is easy to follow and the easiest of the three to catch up on, so give it a look!

Those vlogs are the big 3, so I'll stop there. I'm sure you can find more if you look for them, but there you go for now.

I hope you enjoyed my little foray into nightmare fuel. I'll have to talk about happy things next week or I'll never get rid of these under eye bags!

1 comment: