01 May 2011

"Cheapass" Games with Anacronus Kspaz

Not swimming.
I love pool, no not swimming pools. They're cool too. I mean billiards. Anacronus told me about a pool game for X-box live.

The number one problem billiard games have in my opinion is that no controller ever replicates the feel of a cue. The wii got closest and it wasn't even really that good. This game, still doesn't but it does a lot of other things very well.

Let me get my nits out of the way. First off is the name, Balls. Seriously, I can't think this will help sell your game accept for someone who looks it up based on it's weird name. Next, your players don't actually play, your X-box avatar stands there and watches a cue float through the air, and play for you. Also your in a juice bar, I can't take the place seriously if it doesn't serve alcohol, like I said these are nits.


Dogs playing poker in the blurry background. Awesome.
On to things this game does well. The decor is beautiful, if only too bright to be a pool hall. (Right it's a juice bar, I forgot.) The dogs playing poker on the wall is one of the very nice touches. Strangely enough why they don't have the dogs playing pool I'll never know.

The background blurs out so your not distracted. The music is nice and tranquil.

Floating cue makes the shots,
maybe you use you mind to shoot
When you make a shot the meter actually displays where the ball will end up based on the power you are using. I hope this can be turned off in the full version of the game.

Also it's an indie game so it's only 80 points, but this also means the trial period for the game is super short. I didn't get to finish my first game.

It also has a variety of games you can play. Now if I can only find a controller which actually feels like a cue, I'll be all set.

So good luck and don't get hustled or if you do. Call Uncle Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment