05 November 2010

Mr. Doctorow

I might be a little late to the party so forgive me for this, but I'm currently reading Makers by Cory Doctorow. I read his book Little Brother while traveling through Germany and I have got to say, this man writes Sci-Fi that seems possible. Both books are set in the near future. Little Brother had small things like the X-Box Universal (the next x-box...next box if you will. Where Microsoft gives the console away for free and charges a ridiculous amount for games and peripherals), that seemed so logical a next step that sometimes I wondered if I just didn't miss the announcement.

In both books Mr. Doctorow writes about gait-recognition software. A type of tech that would allow people to be identified by their walk. In Makers its being used to make a device for peoples homes that would unlock their doors while they are walking up the driveway. In Little Brother its used to keep an eye on kids in schools so they don't sneak out, but its also used by homeland security to keep an eye on people.

I got to thinking last night, does this exist. It sounds sci-fi, but it plausible. Sure enough it is a real technology. Yet the technology is in its infancy.

By the way Mr. Doctorow publishes his books under creative commons meaning you can download them for free if you aren't going to make any money off of it. Very nice for those of you who have an e-reader or don't mind reading from a computer. But you should definitely read his works.

And now for a silly link. Make a silly product get silly reviews. The Amazon community strikes again. For my money the best comments are about the airline pilots and the review claiming this is the worst ironing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment