17 May 2013

The Googlephone

It's hard to remember when my old
phone looked this new.
Thanks to our old cell phone carrier leaving the greater St. Louis area. My wife and I were soon going to be without working cell phones. We finally selected a carrier and were all set to go and get Galaxy S-3's to be our next phones, because our S-1's* that we had had for a year and a half, had been pretty reliable and good for a first smartphone.

We never got the S-3's. Why? Because of the Nexus 4.

One of our up coming posters, said I should do a review about my new phone now, and then follow up in a few months when the shininess has worn off. So here are my (mostly) positives and (some) negatives about the Nexus 4.
The Galaxy S-3 the phone I
thought I wanted.

The Good:
- Amazing screen and resolution
- Bigger screen, yet still fits in my pants pocket comfortably.
- Cheaper then the Samsung Galaxy S-3.
- Supposedly will get update to Android as they come out.
- Super fast
- Almost no bloatware.
- Amazing 8MP camera (with built in panoramic mode).

The Bad:
- No slot for micro SD card.
- Battery is built in. (This has always been a sticking point with me and the iPhones)
- Vibrate function is weak (as in I don't always feel it buzz).
- Word online is that this phone maybe fragile, even for a smartphone.
A new challenger has appeared!

The Ugly The Weird:
- Seems to be no option to turn up Vibration strength.
- Seems to be more finicky about transferring files via USB (I transferred over my photos from my old phone,    and they aren't showing up in my gallery.)
- Had to download some apps just to get the option of opening files that my old phone had no problem with.
- I seriously doubt it has an 18 hour battery life (that the salesmen promised) just based on my first week of usage.
- Almost everything that comes pre-loaded is a Google app. If your not a Google fan this is not the phone for you.

All in all though, this is how I feel about it.
Now I would suggest you take this review with a grain (...or more) of salt. Statements like super fast should be tempered with the fact that I was using a hobbled phone for the last 3-6 months while I waited to replace my old one.

Also comments on screen resolution and amazing camera, keep in mind my previous phone came out in October of 2010. So I have a feeling anything we would have bought would have been breathtaking.

Not to mention how many of The Weird section will disappear if I suddenly find the way to fix these problems.

All in all I feel like I got a good phone for a great price, but isn't every piece of tech new and exciting for the first couple of months? Or will I still be happy after the honeymoon? Keep your eyes peeled for part 2 of the Nexus review.

*The S-1 came out in Oct 2010. So you can tell how cutting edge we are, we bought phones which were around 2 years old.




No comments:

Post a Comment